Live online events should be accompanied by real-time captions. The most reliable way to caption live online events is to use a third-party CART captioning vendor or similar service. Captioning services provide accurate, high-quality rendering of speech and audio content in real-time interactions like live meetings, lectures, webinars, breakout rooms, presentations, and discussions.
If a CART captioning service is not available, hosts should use automated real-time captioning features and provide a corrected transcript as soon after the event as possible.
Live Captioning in Zoom
- To provide captions, Closed Captions must be enabled in the account that is hosting the event
- The host may provide captions or assign this role to a meeting participant
- Some third-party captioning providers require access to the captioning API Token immediately before the meeting starts
- Zoom captions may be saved for editing and review but may not be suitable for posting with a recording of the meeting
- Presenters are responsible for captioning costs
For more information, or to schedule captioning for a Zoom event, please visit the IT Accessibility Support Portal.